By: Ray Hidalgo
The boys of Thin Lizzy will be back in town in the U.K. as the Black Star Riders when they kick off the tour for their debut album, All Hell Breaks Loose, which is slated for release on Friday.
While Thin Lizzy’s Ricky Warwick, Scott Gorham, Damon Johnson, and Marco Mendoza continue to embrace the band’s tradition, they decided that a name change, especially out of respect for late frontman Phil Lynott would be the first step toward a fresh start.
“I think what [the name change] has done for us is that we don’t have to sound like Thin Lizzy,” Gorham told Hot Press. “We can go in any direction we want to. If we'd been recording as Thin Lizzy, there's a definite path we'd have to have cut to satisfy everybody. So it is a good thing.”
Former Megadeth drummer Jimmy DeGrasso also joined the old Thin Lizzy crew. And despite all the new developments, rest assured, the original Thin Lizzy itself is still together.
“We are not abandoning Thin Lizzy at all,” Gorham assured Hot Press. “In fact there will probably be a run of dates or Thin Lizzy mini-tour next year.”
This is the year of the Black Star Riders, though! Although all of the tour dates are in the U.K., their first LP will be on shelves Friday and will feature 11 cuts, one of which, “Bound for Glory,” has already been released as a lyric video. If you are indeed across the pond, the boys will hit England, Scotland, and their native Ireland starting from late November to mid-December. There are no U.S. shows scheduled as of now, but we’re sure it’s just a matter of time!
Here’s the latest Black Star Rider tour schedule:
- Nov 22 – Bournemouth, England - O2 Academy
- Nov 23 – London, England - Shepherds Bush Empire
- Nov 24 – Bristol, England - O2 Academy
- Nov 26 – Cambridge, England - Junction
- Nov 27 – Norwich, England - UEA
- Nov 29 – Hard Rock Hell - Gwynedd, North Wales
- Nov 30 – Wolverhampton, England - Wulfrun Hall
- Dec 01 – Cardiff, England - University / Solus
- Dec 02 – Oxford, England - O2 Academy
- Dec 05 – Inverness, Scotland - Ironworks
- Dec 06 – Edinburgh, Scotland - Picturehouse
- Dec 07 – Newcastle, England - O2 Academy
- Dec 08 – Leeds, England - O2 Academy
- Dec 10 – Leamington Spa, England - The Assembly Rooms
- Dec 12 – Nottingham, England - Rock City
- Dec 13 – Manchester, England - Ritz
- Dec 14 – Dublin, Ireland – Academy
Head to the band’s official website for more ticket info and other updates!