By: AnnMarie Scaramuzzino
Since it was announced on Bon Jovi’s official website last week that guitarist Richie Sambora would be sitting out the remainder of their “Because We Can” tour indefinitely, rumors have been surfacing about turmoil within the group.
As always, the “he said/she said” game has taken on a life of its own, only fueled by the fact that there have been little to no statements made by the band members themselves on the issue.
Now, frontman Jon Bon Jovi has spoken to the Austin American-Statesman newspaper to remind fans not to believe everything they hear (or read), as it is apparently “the furthest thing from the truth.”
Bon Jovi’s words most likely come in response to a TMZ report that ran last week, which stated that Jon and Richie were fighting over money and there was tension that had been building between the singer and guitarist for quite some time.
Yet another recent article from the New York Post’s Page Six reported that Jon's wife Dorothea wanted Sambora off of the tour due to his excessive drinking and partying.
Jon Bon Jovi also revealed in his interview with the Statesman that he hasn’t been in contact with Sambora since he and the band received the surprising news just hours before their April 2 show in Calgary that he wouldn’t be performing. The New Jersey rocker goes on to say “It’s a personal matter,” and that he thinks that his longtime bandmate is “doing alright.”
For now, guitarist Phil X is stepping in for Sambora for what could be the remainder of the tour. Familiar to the band’s lineup, Phil X also played with Bon Jovi in 2011 when Sambora entered rehab for substance abuse.
Bon Jovi, whose tour comes in support of their latest studio album What About Now?, are set to play tonight (April 10) in Austin, TX.
To read Jon Bon Jovi’s entire interview with the Austin American-Statesman, click here, and keep up with all of the latest updates from the band at their official website.