By: AnnMarie Scaramuzzino
For Rolling Stones’ fans fearing that their 50 and Counting tour would be the band’s last, worry not!
In a recent interview with The Observer, guitarist Keith Richards stated that, although most of the band members are now entering their 70s, this is definitely not a “farewell” tour:
"If the guys are flying and rocking and everybody feels good, I don't see why they wouldn't do 51 and Counting, 52....But at the moment, we're well aware that we're getting up there."
In a separate interview with The Guardian, drummer Charlie Watts discussed one of the group’s upcoming concert dates with a slightly different attitude.
When asked about the upcoming Glastonbury Festival, which the Stones are headlining this year, Watts revealed that he’s not as excited as his bandmates:
“I don’t want to do it. Everyone else does,” Watts admits to The Guardian. “I don’t like playing outdoors, and I certainly don’t like festivals. I’ve always thought they had nothing to do with playing.”
Watts goes on to call Glastonbury “old hat,” and states that he “never liked the hippy thing to start with.”
Regarding the band’s 50th anniversary shows last year at London’s O2 Arena, the drummer says he almost didn’t agree to it, but ended up feeling good about them. Watts doesn’t touch on whether or not those shows were a deciding factor in getting him to agree to the 50 and Counting dates, but we sure are glad he did!
The Rolling Stones will presumably kick off their North American tour dates next month, with their first confirmed date in Oakland, CA on May 5. The group will also play London’s Hyde Park on July 6 and the aforementioned Glastonbury Festival on June 29.
For more info, head to the Rolling Stones’ official website.
The Rolling Stones “50 AND COUNTING” TOUR DATES:
- TBA - Los Angeles - STAPLES Center TBA
- May 5 - Oakland - Oracle Arena On sale April 8 @ 10AM PST
- May 8 - San Jose - HP Pavilion On sale April 8 @ 10AM PST
- May 11 - Las Vegas - MGM Grand Garden Arena TBA
- May 15 - Anaheim - Honda Center TBA
- May 25 - Toronto - Air Canada Centre On sale April 8 @ 10AM EST
- May 28 - Chicago - United Center On sale April 8 @ 10AM CST
- June 12 - Boston - TD Garden TBA
- June 18 - Philadelphia - Wells Fargo Center TBA