In honor of Keith Moon's birthday (Thursday) - we found these great pics of the infamous 21st birthday party at the Flint Holiday Inn (you know, the one where he drove a car into the pool)
He looks so happy - I don't think the manager will feel the same way.
picture from the party at the Holiday Inn.
Keith blew up the toilet in his room, then started a food fight with a giant birthday cake. When the Sheriff showed up he ran out, slipping on a piece of the cake and chipping his tooth - then he drove a car (either a Cadillac or Lincoln) into the pool. Did it happen? Here's what Roger Daltrey said: "It flaming well did happen. We got the $50,000 bill for it."
Here's a timeline of the evening (from rockcheetah.com)
And a brief synopsis of the timeline:
- The Who, on their first North American tour, open (ironically) for Herman’s Hermits at Flint’s Atwood Stadium.
- Concert ends a bit before 10:00pm
- Band and entourage return to motel
- Much festive imbibing and celebrating ensues
- Lots of clothed and partially clothed party guests can not resist the inviting waters of the conveniently located (parking lot facing) swimming pool
- Property fire extinguishers are emptied
- Toilet explodes in hotel room
- Drum company wheels huge birthday cake into main dining room
- Girl jumps out of cake
- Keith dumps whole cake on a group of party goers
- Food fight spreads from dining room into hotel lobby
- In ensuing confusion, Keith misplaces his clothes
- Police arrive – Party in full swing
- Keith suddenly decides to leave party in great haste
- Keith jumps into Lincoln Continental & releases handbrake
- Car rolls backward through fence and into deep end of swimming pool
- Keith greeted at gunpoint by police as he surfaces
- Keith makes second attempt at quick exit from the party
- Slipping on cake, Keith falls and knocks out front tooth
- Police apprehend Keith and escort him to dentist before heading to jail
- Dentist discovers that in his current state, Keith had no need for Novocaine; repairs tooth
- Keith spends night in county jail
- Next day, chartered plane flies Keith to The Who’s next tour stop in Philadelphia